Friday, January 11, 2008

Homo Faber

Homo Faber or in English Ingenious Man. The meaning of this come from the International Education Program (I teach in an International school) and pertains to all aspects of man's creativity. Today while surfing the Net I came across a perfect example of this.
A French engineer and his son have invented a car that runs on air, no, I kid you not, the car runs on pure air, compressed air. The MDI car is made of light weight composite materials and has under body reservoirs made of light weight carbon fibre containing 200 litres of air each at 4000 psi. This gives the car an autonomy of 150 kilometres with zero pollution. To recharge the air system you can simply plug it in and a mini compressor fills up the tanks in 4 hours or you can "gas up" at a high pressure "air station" in about 3 minutes. Total cost between $2.50 and $5.00.
Man's ingeniousness never ceases to amaze me.
If you are curious here are a couple of links that give information about the technology.
http://www.theaircar.com/ and Discovery Channel's Daily Planet

5 comments:

geewits said...

But, well, I have a problem with compressed anything. I always imagine it will explode and kill me. I have a lot of weird fears, but I certainly do not want to sit atop 4000psi of compressed air.

CS said...

That's amazing. I showed this to my son, and he said, "I know, I saw that on TV about a year ago." So why aren't we aggreeively pursuing this sort of thing?

Jazz said...

And that isn't ever gonna get marketed because of the automobile and gas industries.

It would just be too easy and convenient wouldn't it?

Dr. Deb said...

OMG, that is just BRILLIANT!!!!!

Ian Lidster said...

You know, that actually makes a lot of sense. Who knows? Maybe there's hope for us yet.