Monday, April 30, 2007

The Great Shredded Wheat Mystery

As strange as it may seem, I happen to like Shredded Wheat. I've been eating the little straw cakes since I was a kid. I learned to like them at the annual summer scout camp. At breakfast we had the choice between Shredded Wheat and porridge. Now you must understand that this is not ordinary porridge, this porridge was scout camp porridge. I think they never quite emptied the huge pot they made it in, they just kept adding to it, day after day. They may not even have emptied it at the end of camp, just put on a cover and kept it as a starter for next year's camp. It had the consistency and colour of a fine Portland cement. It could have been used to build the Montreal Olympic Stadium (might have made it more solid). Since we had swimming just after breakfast (must go swimming when the water is at its coldest, builds character don't you know) filling your belly with something that had the specific gravity of concrete was just plain suicide, not to mention the fact that it tasted like... well like scout camp porridge. So I chose the lesser of the two evils and ate the little straw cakes for breakfast, got used to them and even got to like them.
There is a whole ritual around eating them. First of all you need a wide bowl that will comfortably hold two little straw cakes side by side. (At a certain moment Nabisco even sold square melmac bowls to hold your straw cakes in comfort.) Next you put them in the bowl, flat side down. (Yes there is a flatter side and if you put the rounder side down they'll wobble) Then you pour the milk over them making sure you thoroughly soak them, softens the straw a bit. Then finally pour the sugar on top. Never put the sugar before the milk since the milk will just wash the sugar off. Now quickly eat them, do not wait, soggy straw cakes are not a pretty sight.
Now here is the mystery. How many people can there be that love Shredded Wheat? I am asking this question because the last few times I went to the grocery store, the Shredded Wheat had disappeared. Their price was there, their space was there, but no Shredded Wheat. Of well, I said to myself, I'll just go to the grocery across the street. None there either. The next day I stopped at the last grocery store and once again gone... AND THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS HAPPENS. Do the baby boomers need so much fiber that they are cleaning out the shelves? Have the younger generation taken to smoking them in the hopes of a hallucinative breakfast? What is going on?

9 comments:

Tai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tai said...

'Twas me! I bought them all!!

I love them too.

Except, my mom taught us this:

boil a kettle
pour hot water over cakes (not enough to drown them, mind, just enough to moisten and warm)
pour off excess water
proceed with milk/sugar etc

mmmmmm, maybe I WILL buy up all available boxes...I could send you some.
For a PRICE mwahahahahah!!!

Big Brother said...

Tai: There has always been two ways of eating them, the cold milk way like I use and the warm water and milk way.
So now I know where they went. To paraphrase Oliver Twist, Please Tai, can I have some too?

Ian Lidster said...

Shredded Wheat is a fine thing and a favorite of mine. When I was a child there were little grey cards between the layers with pictures to color. What's your take on Muffets? To me they are an inferior version.
Now, about porridge (which I love), I am also fond of Red River Cereal, and used to like Sunny Boy, but cannot find it any more.
Finally, why can't we get proper Wheaties in this country? They can in the US, but not here. The maple flavored ones don't count.
You, my friend, have opened up a wealth of cereal speculation here.

Ian

Jazz said...

I quite like them too. For some reason though, I never buy any, so for once you can't blame me...

Big Brother said...

Ian, yes I remember the cards between the layers, and there are only one kind of Shredded Wheat. A lot of the old cereal companies have been goobled up by the big few. Shredded Wheat used to be made by Nabisco, now it's Post
Hey lil sister good to hear from you, but let's face it, as the junior member of our family, everything is always your fault, even when it's not, it's still your fault.;o)

Evil Spock said...

I like Frosted Shredded Wheat. I'm going to have to try tai's recipe quite soon.

MarmiteToasty said...

We LOVE shredded wheat in this house :) and the art is... once you place ya 2 wheats in ya bowl ya get the palm of ya hand and gently squash them down a little..... dont know why we do it, its just become a habit, and then add the milk and last the sugar :).......

And the shredded wheat boxes over here have been the new shape for years :)

nice blob, I'll be back to read more......

x

Alex said...

Fiance and i bought some and finished off a box in 2 and a half days. YUM!!

We use soy milk insted but i like it better because it makes it a bit sweeter!

Here is everything you always wanted to know about the history of the cereal and everyone who has made it.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/jwalton971/history.htm

Here is the patent for the machine that made it.

http://zog.typepad.com/annotated/2004/08/1893_shredded_w.html

Hope thats helpful?
(well... I mean obviously it wont help you find more cereal, but you know what i mean.)