Monday, April 23, 2007

Let's celebrate...its Book Day

Today April 23rd is the 12th International Book Day. Let's celebrate. It seems that everything has it's day now, but at least this one is worth while. Did you ever stop to consider the lowly book? In today's high tech world it seems a trifle dowdy, low tech, old fashioned. Yet look again people, for a more perfect invention does not exist (or if it does I won't go into it here). The lowly book gives hours of pleasure where the only energy required is that used to turn the pages. The special effects are only constrained by your imagination or lack there of. (When I was in my late teens I read "The Exocist" in a marathon reading session that lasted until 4 am, talk about spooky. When I went to see the film I laughed because what I had imagined while reading was way scarier than anything in the film.) They are eminently portable, I have carried some in my backpack across the Himalayan mountains in Nepal, the Appalachians, the Rockies, while traveling with Mrs. BB around the many countries we have visited. The low tech book never needs batteries, is easy to find, (in the UK Tesco's usually has a good selection of murder mysteries at a cheap price) and if you find a used book store you can usually exchange them for a minimal price. (Did that in Namche Bazare in the Kumbu region of Nepal, can't get any farther than that) They can also be given to libraries, so others can get the pleasure of reading them, and at the same time make you feel good about yourself. (When we travel, we usually end up with a bunch of books that we give to a local library. It's our way of saying thanks for sharing their beautiful country) It has had a permanent impact on society and how we think and act. It has preserved the thoughts of great thinkers and artists throughout the ages, and the list goes on.
So let us celebrate the book, low tech or not, it is the closest thing to a perfect invention that man has ever designed.

6 comments:

Jazz said...

The book and the lowly key, despite what Ian might think!

Speaking of books, have you ever read José Saramago? Not an easy read by a long shot, but so, so good.

Ian Lidster said...

Happy Birthday to you (somebody told me) and you know I agree on books. Cheers, Ian

Voyager said...

I agree, books are worth their own day of celebration. I could live without a lot of the stuff I have, but without books my world would be empty.
V.

Big Brother said...

Jazz: No I've never read him, I'll have to see. What kind of book does he write.
Ian: Thank you very much, from one book lover to another
voyager: How right you are, life without books would indeed be empty, nothing like a good book with a nice big coffee.

Evil Spock said...

When I saw Kurt Vonnegut speak in college, he said reading was the perfect way to meditate. I tend to agree.

Big Brother, would you like to exchange links?

Dr. Deb said...

I didn't know there was an international book day. How great. I'm going to add it to my calendar!!