Thursday, October 16, 2008

Weird Canada Redux

I was reading the news this morning when I came across this little tidbit. Some employees of La Ronde (our big amusement park here in Montréal) were burning the pyrotechnics left over from the fireworks competition that is held each summer at La Ronde. To do this safely, they carry the fireworks to the huge parking lot and burn them in a closed concrete bunker that only has a small air hole in its top. Everything went as planned until one of the rockets touched off and flew out of the hole. Not only did it rise high into the air, but it landed 30 meters away in the bed of the truck used to carry the pyrotechnics. To make things even worse, the back of the truck was still full of fireworks. The workers seeing how things were going from bad to worse ran like hell and were not hurt in the ensuing conflagration. The resulting explosion sent bits and pieces flying up to 60 meters away. Martin Roy, the spokesman for La Ronde, stated that "It was an accident due to really bad luck, and they would resume the destruction of the pyrotechnics as soon as possible." Hopefully they'll have enough trucks to get the job finished...

5 comments:

geewits said...

I love when things happen that the odds were so against.

Please correct my grammar on the sentence. It seems awful.

Jazz said...

I hadn't heard about this! What are the odds...

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I'd like to have seen that. From a safe distance, of course.

Dr. Deb said...

Wow, what an unexpected turn of events.

choochoo said...

Lol. I wish I coulda seen that:D