Thursday, October 02, 2008

Fall has fallen

I went walking tonight and autumn is in the air. The temperature is around 10 degrees Celsius, a nice crisp temperature, with the scent of fallen leaves and the slight tang of wood smoke from someone's fireplace. This is the first evening this year where this has happened, we seem to have had a much prolonged summer. It's as if summer had been moved over from it's usual place.
It's funny how each season seems to have its own way of impinging on our senses. In spring its the smell of growing things and damp earth, in summer the smell of freshly mowed grass and the feeling of twilight on the patio as things cool off, in autumn the smell of fallen leaves as they crunch under foot, crisp temperatures and the golden light on fresh sunny days and in winter the silence of softly falling snow, the air cold like a good champagne and the creak of boots walking in the new fallen snow. I think I would have great difficulty living in a place where there are no seasons, it would seem to be a bit boring don't you know.

8 comments:

geewits said...

So you'd find Hawaii boring? Just asking.

Big Brother said...

In the beginning probably not, but with time I'm sure I would miss the cycle of the seasons I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

I like seasons, except I wouldn't mind just having three - spring, summer, fall.

Jazz said...

I would have no problem dumping winter. And if to do so I'd have to live in eternal summer, so be it.

Dr. Deb said...

My favorite season in Fall. I just love this time of year.

Big Brother said...

Lil sister: you never could stand winter let's hope there'll be less snow for you.
Citizen: Well from what I can gather from your posts you all ready pretty well have that... ;o) You have way less snow and cold than we do and spring comes way earlier.
Deb: I love fall also, cooler temperatures cuz I hate the really hot, humid days in summer. I'm not a heat loving person at all.

choochoo said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I deny the existence of fall and I'll keep right on denying it until I see snow. It's summer.

Ian Lidster said...

About living in a place with no seasons -- I'd like to try, just once. And, of course, even the tropics have their seasons, like the monsoon one, for example.