Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Following others, what I did

Having no inspiration these days, I've decided to do like Ian and my little sister Jazz and tell a bit about what I've done in my life. Let's see it's hard to get going since I don't feel that it is an extraordinary life, but here goes.
I'll start with the important stuff, stuff that we often overlook. I've been married for 31 years to Mrs. BB. (Doesn't seem that long but I guess time flies when we're having fun.) We've raised two wonderful children who are now intelligent, productive, stable adults. I've also been teaching for 30 years and I still love doing it. Having had a family early on Mrs. BB and I didn't travel much until our kids grew up a couple of years ago, but we have been making up for lost time.

I've gone trekking with Mrs. BB in the Parc de la Gaspésie. We crossed the whole park from one end to the other (over 100km) across some of the highest mountains in the southern part of Québec. The whole trip took us about 10 days and when we finally came straggling into civilization it took us a while just to get used to it. You don't know how good a cold beer tastes until you are sitting on the terrace with one, after having completed the last 20 kilometres across "le Mont Albert", one of the highest of the mountains, with a full pack. There we were sitting at a table, dirty, sweaty, tired, in hiking boots, with a 35 pound pack at our feet and all these tourists kept staring at us as if we had come from another planet...

I've gone trekking in Nepal with my little sister Jazz and Mr. Jazz. It had always been my dream to go trekking to Everest. Not climb it, just get close to it. In 2000 that is what I did. We got to Pheriche at 4600 meters when we both got a good dose of altitude sickness. Realizing that no mountain is worth dying for we started back down. Since we had more time, we were able to take trails that the tourists usually don't take, so we ended up on a trail above Pangboche in what can only be described as a perfect day. Breathtaking scenery, beautiful weather and a path that we had pretty much to ourselves. Like my sister I've visited the Swayambunath and the Bodnath stupas which are the most beautiful in Nepal. I also visited Tengboche Monastery, one of the oldest and most sacred.

I have (along with my wife) also been to the Neolithic tombs of Newgrange and Knowth in Ireland. They were awe inspiring. Imagine a tomb that was built around 3200 BC. That is 5000 years old, almost 1000 years before the pyramids. These tombs were built without any metal tools and yet are so well built that on the winter solstice as the sun rises its light races across the ceiling and hits the main chamber just as the sun clears the horizon and then retreats across the floor. We've also visited Avesbury and Stonehenge as well as many other neolithic stone circles in the Orkneys and Outer Hebrides. It is humbling to realize what our ancestors could do with so little.



We've also hiked along Hadrian's wall. Over hills and ridges, it goes on as far as the eye can see. Those Romans sure knew how to build.








I've climbed Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK, as well as assorted other mountains in the highlands. One of them was beside the Loch Ness and we could see the loch from one end to the other.




I've walked and climbed in Edward's I castles in Wales. They are truly something to see, being the state of the art in military technology of the 13ht and 14th century. What struck me the most though, was that, although the castles are now in ruins, the towns that grew up around them are all thriving. Maybe there is hope for mankind yet.



I've sat in the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris and listened to a choral singing a Gregorian Chant as it echoed across the thousand year old church, with sunlight steaming through the stained glass.



We've walked in the desert of Tunisia and haggled with merchants of the Souk El Bey of Tunis. (It helps to have a friend living there to show you the ropes. ;o)) And we've walked around one of the most complete Coliseums outside of Rome.


I spent ten years in the artillery (army reserve) and finally finished as a Captain and CO of the 58e Batterie where I had started. Got to do many things in the meantime including jump school in Edmonton. (Never got my wings since I busted a knee and had to leave before the end)

I've read more books than I can count. If I had all the books that I've read since I was a kid I could probably start a pretty decent library. Reading and books are one of man's greatest inventions.

I guess I could go on and on. Doing this exercise at least makes you realize just how much we have done in our lives. Hey and the best is still to come. ;op

7 comments:

Dave said...

Wow! ... and all I have done over the past five years is drive my car around Southern Ontario!!! I envy you but I am also happy for you that you are able to do and go wherever your heart desires. My desire to travel is now... My plan to go is in the very near future! Thanks for the travelling ideas! Especially Ireland.

Jazz said...

Damn, I loved seeing that picture again, the one from Pangboche, and that little white line of a trail clinging to the side of the mountain behind you. We did good, didn't we Bro? You reminded me that nope, I didn't fail at the trekking thing. Not at all.

Tai said...

Isn't it nice to reflect back on your life and realize that you've accomplished so much?
I joke with Spider (of Bathtub fame) that I've packed more into 35 years than most people in a lifetime, but lists like yours make me realize that everyone has a long list just like mine.
(Ireland is great, isn't it!)

Big Brother said...

Dave; when we were younger and had the kids we also only had family vacations around Canada, but kids finally grow up and away we went. We definitely recommend Ireland.

Lil' sister, that was truly a mega excellent day, they don't get any better. Yep we done good and had fun doing it.

Tai, Mrs. BB and I loved Ireland. It is one of the places that we would consider living in full time. We'll probably be going back next summer, there are still many out of the way places we missed the first time around and there are places we would like to go back to, such as Achille Island, a bit of paradise.

choochoo said...

does everyone but me go trekking to interesting places? I'd like to do that, too. Only with less trekking and more being driven around.

Em said...

Very cool photos!

And I just passed along a blogging award to you on my blog. Enjoy!

CS said...

I love these round-ups. I've noticed that people mostly focus on travels, which I find interesting. Beautiful photos of the places you've been.