Friday, June 22, 2007

My Siblings

This week both my sisters, Artsis and Jazz celebrate their birthdays. (The month of October seems to have been a busy one for my parents) For those of you who don't like mushiness, please go away cuz I'm going to sing the praises of my two little sisters.
I have been extremely lucky to have the family that I do. Our parents were caring and loving people who did all they could to see their children become successful adults. Our home life was harmonious and we always knew that our parents were there for us. Both of my sisters married men that I not only approve of, but that I also call friend. I often hear people going on about family squabbles between members of their family, and I count myself lucky to be in a family where that has never happened. My sisters and their husbands are our best friends as well as being our family and it is always fun to be together.
So let's start with my Artsis, she is two years younger than me and when we were kids we fought like cats and dogs. Having completely different characters did nothing for the peace of our relationship or for the patience of our parents. It took me until adulthood to really appreciate her intelligence, charm and iron will. Of the three of us, I think she is the one who most resembles our mother. Soft spoken, always polite and caring, she none the less has a will of iron. She has the knack of making people see her point of view without rubbing the person's nose in it. (She must have had a lot of practice with me when we were young.) She gets things done without fanfare and hoopla, but she always gets them done. She is an exceptional artist and we are the proud owners of a collection of many of her paintings and I hope to collect a quite a few more. (see her latest paintings)
My little sister Jazz has always been the bohemian of the family. She is younger than me by seven years, so she kind of became a mascot. I must admit, being a guy and seven years older than her, I wasn't always the nicest person, but in my defense, teenaged guys rarely are. After all I had to toughen her up didn't I? I obviously did a good job because she really turned out to be a beautiful, funny, articulate woman, with a wicked sense of humour. She knows exactly what she wants and she is, as we say in French, "bien dans sa peau." My wonderful daughter greatly resembles her and I'm glad that is so, because she can't go far wrong in being like her aunt.
So here's to you, my siblings, may the coming year grant you whatever your heart desires and may all your hopes and aspirations become reality. :o)

4 comments:

Voyager said...

What a lovely tribute to your sisters. Makes me wish I had a brother, especially if he was like you.
V.

Anonymous said...

Wow... you don't talk a lot but when you do...wow! it is true that we have a great family and my two aunts are great! Happy Birthday to two great women!!!
As for yourself dad, you are a great dad just as you are a great brother... xxx

Jazz said...

Aw shucks...

I never know what to say when you're nice to me...

Luvya too BB

OHN said...

Hi bro...I found you through Dr. Deb and decided to pop over and check out your blog. I only had time to start at this post but wanted to tell you how great I think it is that you have such wonderful things to say about your sisters. I have 3 sons and they are all like oil, water and gasoline. Your post gives me hope that when they are adults they MAY actually be able to walk past each other without a little poke, nudge, nasty name or whatever :)