Thursday, February 15, 2007

Medieval Help desk

Jazz sent me this since she knows that I love the medieval time period and I also have a rather quirky sense of humour. (Just ask my students) It is hilarious so I thought that you might all enjoy it as much as I did. The Medieval Help Desk
Enjoy. :o)

Here is a bit of medieval trivia for you trivia nuts.

  • The keep at Bridgnorth Castle, located in England, leans at 17 degrees, three times further than the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
  • In 1813 a walled up skeleton was found in one of the vaults of Craigmillar Castle.
  • In 1787 Robert Burns was knighted at Clackmannan Tower by Henry Bruce's widow with the sword of Robert the Bruce.
  • The largest castle in England is Windsor Castle.
  • The largest castle in Wales is Caerphilly Castle.
  • All the inhabitants of Cainhoe Castle, in Bedfordshire England, died due to the "Black Death".
  • Loch Doon Castle once sat on an island in the middle of Loch Doon. In 1934 the castle was moved, stone by stone, to the west shore of the Loch.
  • Killyleagh Castle is the oldest occupied castle in Ireland. It was built in the 13th century.
  • In 1250, Walter de Clifford forced a royal messenger to eat the king's Writ, wax seal and all. (ketchup with that?)
  • At Exeter Castle, in 1136, the garrison used wine to extinguish fires from a siege. (what a waste)
  • The medieval long-bow had a range of 220 yards and could easily penetrate 3/4 inch of oak.
  • Super-heated sand was used in warfare. It penetrated the joints of armor and made the attacker run in the opposite direction.

Thanks to www.castles-of-britain.com

6 comments:

Dr Michelle Tempest said...

Well they say you learn something everyday and I certainly learnt plenty from this list. Thanks. Michelle

Jazz said...

And when exactly will the keep at Bridgnorth Castle fall down?

Tai said...

Hey, that was GREAT! (And I loved that YouTube clip!)

Em said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! It led me to your blog. I just love all the trivia you put into your postings! Fun and interesting! I'll be back!!

Ian Lidster said...

Caister Castle near Great Yarmouth was the seat of the Fastolff family, with Sir John Fastolff being the model for Shakespeare's Falstaff.
My little bit of trivia, and thanks for yours.

Ian

Big Brother said...

Interesting Ian, I didn't know that. I'll have to add that one to my store of medieval tidbits. Thanks