Monday, May 03, 2010

Washington

Just came back from Washington DC with my students. The kids really liked their trip and were impressed by the grandeur of the buildings, the free museums and the weather. (It snowed in Montreal while we were running around in bright sunlight, cool but bright. ) It is hard to beat all those free museums. I've been going there for years and I still haven't got through them all. We also took them to the Holocaust Museum, which is less fun but a very good lesson to them. Each year when the kids finish the visit they are very thoughtful and silent which for 13-14 year olds is saying a lot.
All in all a good trip.











4 comments:

Jazz said...

silent thoughtful 13 year olds. Wow.

secret agent woman said...

I watched "The Pianist" with my son when he was about that age (14, I think) - and he was very somber afterwards. Not me, I was crying like a baby, which I am sure I'd do in the museum as well.

And yes, the Smithsonians are a true treasure.

Big Brother said...

There were some people there that broke into tears. I have a feeling that some of the older ones might have lost loved ones in the Holocaust. Makes you think.

geewits said...

We went in 2003 and were the same way in the Holocaust Museum. (Wait I'm getting deja vu. Did we already do this?)