Sunday, April 13, 2008

History burns

Last week end, the Manège Militaire, a big part of Québec's military history burned to the ground. This building built in 1885 was designed by Eugène-Étienne Taché, the architect that designed Québec's parliament buildings. It was one of the city's most beautiful historic buildings, and in a city that was named a world heritage site that's saying a lot. Will it be rebuilt in all it's glory, only time will tell.
I hadn't thought about it in years, but watching it burn on television brought back many memories. I started my military career there as a private in the 58th Battery of the 6ième Régiment d'Artillerie de Campagne and finished it there as captain and commanding officer of the same unit. (We were housed in the square tower on the right of the 2nd photo) The 6ième Régiment is a militia unit and was a family tradition. My great-grandfather had been its Regimental Sergent-Major. I also met Mrs. BB there, when she was one of the first women officers to join a combat unit. (I always did like women in combats.:o)
Not only did Québec lose an important part of her heritage, but many of us who served in units based there, have lost a big part of our past.

8 comments:

geewits said...

That's terrible! Fire can be such a horrible thing. I hate the loss of historic buildings. It always depresses me. I hope they can somehow restore it, but it doesn't look good.

Tai said...

Oh NO! Oh that so sad when something like that happens.

Hageltoast said...

It's always strange when a physical part of your past goes, but it's a real tragedywhen something like this happens.

choochoo said...

I'm sorry to hear about the fire... It's always sad when things like that happen. I hate it when historical buildings burn down. I like staring at them and imagening, and it's not as much fun if they're charcoal...

Jo said...

Omigosh, that is just too horrible to watch, especially a beautiful old historical building like that!

Dr. Deb said...

Oh, how tragic.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hate to see beautiful old buildings get destroed. Such a waste.

geewits said...

Please post a new entry. Every time I check here to see if you've posted it makes me sad to see this.