Sunday, March 09, 2008

Buried under snow

We are in the month of March and we should be seeing the first signs of spring. Instead we are seeing the start of a new ice age... In the last week we have had two major snow storms. On Wednesday we got 25 cm of snow and yesterday over 30 cm and it isn't finished yet since the weather man is predicting another snow fall on Tuesday and four more days of snow before Easter. Right now we are officially at 350 cm of snow, that's 3.5 meters, or for our American friends 11.5 feet of snow that has fallen since the start of winter. The record is 385 cm in 1971-72 which will surely be broken soon. Will we hit 400 cm? Most probably since in the last week we accumulated 55 cm of snow and there is now sign of it slowing down.
The cities and towns have busted their snow removal budgets for 2008, which means there is no more money for snow removal till the end of winter (if ever it comes) and also no more money for snow removal in November and December 2008. They'll surely continue their snow removal but I think that we are probably either going to lose other services or our taxes are going to go up. Many companies that clear driveways will also be going belly-up since they charge a fixed rate and with the snow that has fallen most of them are working at a loss.
Here are a couple of pictures I took to illustrate just how much snow we've had...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

And here I was just grousing to myself that it hadn't gotten quite as warm as I'd hope today. I just can't believe how much snow you guys have gotten.

Big Brother said...

Yeah citizen, too bad there isn't a market for snow...we'd be rich!

geewits said...

I've only seen big snow like that once in my life. It was the 1982 Super Bowl in Pontiac Michigan. The snow plows had pushed the snow into heaps around light poles and the heaps were almost at the top! I can't even imagine living somewhere like that. When it all melts, will there be a flood?

Jazz said...

They're saying 350 cm now? Last week they were saying 413 had fallen so far.

They can't even keep their snowfalls straight.

Dr. Deb said...

Oh


My




Goodness!

Ian Lidster said...

All I can offer is sympathy and I'll refrain from mentioning the daffodils in bloom.

Big Brother said...

Geewits: There will surely be floods if it starts melting too fast, especially if there is rain along with the warm weather. Also when the ice breaks up it often causes ice jambs that back up the rivers.
Lil sister: that's in Québec. I heard that they have already beaten their record with 450 cm of snow. Our record to beat is 383 and as of today we are officially at 353 cm.
Deb: That says it all... it's more like oh my deity. We won't be dug out for a week at least. (if there is no more snow)
Ian: Daffodils... are those the small green and yellow things that grow out of dirt... heard about them in a legend somewhere...

Errances said...

460cm for quebec city. and they are pretty sure we'll hit the 500cm soon. last week-end, we had 40cm, while the average for march is... 47cm.
oh! and they say spring will be late, this year. maybe we'll be lucky and we'll see some grass and flowers before july...

Tai said...

Wow. That's incredible. I've never seen snow like that!

(Yes, Brother Cadfael! Kimber put me on to him and I love the series! I'll have to look into those other authors you mentioned, as well. And I HAVE seen one or two of the series, Jacobi is fantastic!)

pierre l said...

@tai. I was born in Montreal and moved to Europe in 1972 (must have been the snow), while my sister moved to Vancouver even longer ago.
You might want to check out "I Claudius" with Derek Jacobi (from 1976 - imdb.com user rating of 9.3 out of 10 with over 3000 votes). Makes me fell old because I watched when it was first shown.

pierre l said...

Sorry, BB. I also meant to say that your snow pictures are pretty impressive! One memory I have is that a radio station which was called CKGM back then (980 AM) used to have a competition each year where you had to guess when the winter's snow total would reach 98 inches.
Here in the South of England we've had lots of strong winds and rain, but I don't remember seeing any snow at all this year.

Tai said...

And just to add a note: All my co workers here in Victoria are discussing what a withering winter you are having. Believe me, we are well aware of how bloody lucky we are.

Jo said...

Shall I send you some of our daffodils? Tulips? Magnolias? Heather?

Well, you will be laughing when you have a beautiful summer, and we are deluged with rain.