Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back to the past

As you all know by now, I've been a teacher for over 30 years (and I still love doing it by the way) but having moved around a lot, I've lost track of my students over the years. This week imagine my surprise when I got a post on my Facebook page asking me if I had taught at CFB Valcartier. I answered that yes I had in the early eighties and I got a message back from one of my ex-students saying how he had liked my ESL class when he was in secondary 3 (grade nine). Since then others have also made contact from that class.
It was a really nice feeling to see that I had done a good enough job that they still remember me fondly 25 years later. Teaching adolescents is not always the easiest job nor is it the job where you get the most feedback but I think that it is the job where you can still really make a difference. And once in while, someone from the past will come by and pat you on the back and say thanks and nothing beats that.

4 comments:

Jazz said...

They remember you fondly?

Methinks you have a split personality brother mine. ;-)

Actually, I'm not surprised.

Mr. Jazz said...

On récolte ce que l'on sème mon cher. Moi non plus ça ne m'étonne pas ;-)

secret agent woman said...

It is a good feeling to know you've been appreciated. I once ran into a former student from a college class I taught who stopped me to tell me it had been her all-time favorite class. I was on a high all day after that.

geewits said...

I wrote a letter to a high school teacher years later to thank her for introducing me to my favorite poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling. It sounds like she may have really appreciated that.