Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A traveling we will go...

I haven't blogged in a while, being too busy and tired. (I sometimes feel that I should be paid by the kilometre.) We just got back from our annual class trip to Washington. Yes I know it's a h*ll of a long way from home but Boston and New York are taken by the other grades so off we go to Washington. This year we left on a Tuesday morning at 7 am and arrived in Philadelphia in the afternoon where we visited the historical city. We then went to the hotel and the next morning we left or Washington. Having arrived there we then visited the museums (Smithsonian and Holocaust) and walked around the monuments (Lincoln, Washington, FDR, Jefferson, and the war memorials) and streets of the city. The Americans sure know how to build monumental buildings in white marble. After three days we finally got back on the bus and after having driven all night, (realizing that I'm getting way too old to be trying to sleep on a bus) we finally arrived back at school. The trip went well and the kids loved it. What impressed the students the most you ask? Well the Holocaust Museum and the war memorials (Vietnam and Korean) as well as the Lincoln memorial were probably their favourites as well as the Medieval Banquet they participated in. The girls were all sighing over the Blue Knight who was our section's champion. The boys however were much more interested in the sword battles on horseback. ;o)



7 comments:

Jazz said...

The Vietnam and Korean war memorials impressed the hell out of me when I saw them. The Vietnam memorial especially had me crying. That wall getting higher and higher - it was... well it does what it sets out to do.

Ian Lidster said...

Have never been to DC. Have always wanted to. Why? Because it's there and what it is. Likely all the ancient Gauls and Britons wanted to visit Rome for the same reason.

Big Brother said...

Lil sister: It's when the kids realize what all the names mean that it gets to them.
Ian: I like you analogy... with all the white marble I suppose that it does look a bit like ancient Rome, which we barbarians from the north insist on coming to visit each year.

Anonymous said...

That's funny - my son has been on school trips t those three - DC, Philadelphia and NYC.

I used to spend summers outside DC - I love that town, so much to do.

geewits said...

I'm glad the students were touched, as were we by these things, but I just have to ask a question. Canadians always say we are so "stuck up" and dismissive of Canada, so why would you come here instead of visiting special Canadian places? I'm just curious. And the pictures are lovely.

Big Brother said...

Good question geewits. Since the I am teaching in an International school, one of the criteria is to have taken at least one trip to a foreign country and you happen to be the closest. Since I teach English second language, one of my goals is to have the students practise their English in real life and American cities of the Eastern Seaboard are the closest non French speaking cities. There is of course Toronto, but many are bilingual and there is also the fact that unfortunately Toronto is rather boring. :o)

geewits said...

Thanks for the explanation. Muy Bien!