Saturday, November 24, 2007

The wisdom of wisdom teeth

Why is it that I have never been wise and yet I have wisdom teeth? Last Thursday I had to get a wisdom tooth taken out. Let me tell you that at my age that is no little thing. Old hard jawbones do not lead to an easy and quick extraction. Now I look like a lopsided chipmunk and I have to eat soft mushy food for a while. Although my dentist is good, that is one experience that I would rather not have to go through again. To add insult to injury, Thursday was our first snow/sleet/frozen rain storm of the season. So on top of having to have that tooth taken out I had to drive in really lousy conditions to get there. Sometimes you just can't win.

9 comments:

geewits said...

Ouch. I am a huge fan of hating the dental work. Fortunately my wisdom teeth just grew straight up and down and I have not had to have them removed. Have you had a root canal? If so, is it as bad or worse than that? Because I've always said if I have to have another root canal, I will probably just kill myself.

Big Brother said...

Geewits, hving had both I'd have to say worse since at least a root canal doesn't leave your face swollen like a chipmunk with a mouth full of peanuts.

Dr. Deb said...

Nothing like bad weather to make an already unpleasant experience worse. Sorry you are restricked to mush for a while.

Tai said...

Aw, well I wish you a quick recovery!
I had all of mine removed when I was 17.
Which may explain a lot of things!

CS said...

Ow! I still have all mine. Well, the three that I've always had - the 4th was a no-show. I've never heard anyone say that was a comfortable procedure.

Voyager said...

Oh, you poor thing. I had all 4 of mine out at age 19. I don't remember much except looking like a pumpkin for a week. Maybe you can get a holiday job as a Santa with fat cheeks.
V.

Ian Lidster said...

Poor you.
Mine all were taken out a number of years ago. I haven't missed them.
Don't know why they're called wisdom teeth, since they are invaraibly trash.
I don't think it was all that wise of God to give them to us.

Jazz said...

Poor BB. Now I can laugh at you, like I remember you doing when I got mine pulled. And mine were impacted.

Or should I be really nice and totally destablize you?

Nathan Bedingfield said...

Take it easy, man. It's not fun to have a dentist remove your wisdom teeth, and the wait toward a complete recovery won't be fun -- especially once you start missing all the solid food you can chew. I hope you recover quickly!