Monday, November 12, 2007

Ode to a teacher.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us...
In short it was the end of the sixties and the start of the seventies. The slaughter that was Vietnam was winding down, the summer of peace and love was now a memory, men were walking on the moon and the drug culture was coming home to roost with the deaths of Joplin and Hendrix. Those were the years that I started CEGEP (a kind of junior college crammed between high school and university). We were finally learning to fly on our own wings, even if sometimes it was more like the take off of a goony bird than the soaring flight of an eagle. Those were heady times indeed.
In Jazz's last blog, she remarked that a comment I had made reminded her of Mr. Donald Petzel, a teacher we both had (singular praise). Her comment brought back a host of memories about my time spent in his classes. So, perhaps too late, I would like to pay tribute to one of the teachers that marked me to this day, and in a way say the thank you I should have said long ago.
He was a rather tall portly man, who always wore dark sixty-ish horn rimmed glasses. He had a command of the English language that would have made an Oxford don proud, but most important of all he was the consummate teacher. He would always start his classes with a "Good morning scholars" including us in the great fraternity of scholars and then would proceed to stretch our minds past the point that we had ever dreamt of going. Never would he put down a student who gainsaid him, in fact he would delight in pushing us to elaborate, support, elucidate, our thoughts on whichever subject we were discussing. His famous "Whaaaaat?" when we made outrageous claims, let us know that we had better find something logical to support our claims right quick.
One of the most enjoyable courses I have ever had the pleasure to partake in was the study of the book of Job. Sounds boring doesn't it? But no, I can sill remember vividly the discussions we had about the nature of good and evil, about why "sh*t happens" to good people, and why the deity and the devil were taking bets with each other over the poor hapless Job down below.
He was a renaissance man, erudite, capable of discussing just about anything but above all what defined him was that he was a teacher. He cared about what we thought, about showing us how to think, to ponder, to discover and to define our thoughts and ourselves. He never let us lapse into intellectual laziness. He showed us that it was all right to think differently as long as we could back up our thoughts.
He taught for more than 45 years and marked generations of budding young minds before dying in 2005. I consider myself to be privileged to have had him as my teacher. If I can just be half the teacher that he was, I'll be satisfied.

10 comments:

Voyager said...

What a gift to have such a teacher. Thank you for sharing this.
And I love your bird photos in the last post. Especially the geese in flight. Awesome!
V.

geewits said...

I think it is a tribute to Mr. Petzel that you, yourself became a teacher. Pass along his wisdom and you both will live forever.

Jazz said...

Good Morning Scholars!

Damn BB, you did it again, I was gonna post about Mr. P. And you beat me to it, and you did it way better than I could have.

As far as I'm concerned, he was the best teacher I ever had. I'm constantly amazed that he was teaching at that level (17 year olds) when he could easily have been teaching at a doctoral level in any university. He was freaking brillant.

He once gave me back a paper unmarked and said: This stinks, you can write and think much better than this. You have 24 hours to redo it or you don't get a passing grade on it. I did deserve a pass on that paper, but he knew what I was capable of.

Which, lets face it was unfair to other students. But I spent all night redoing that damn paper and I got an A.

Petzel forced me to actually use my brain; I had always been pretty much coasting along on the fact that I was intelligent and never had to work very hard.

I would have walked through fire for that man. I wish I had told him how much he meant to me.

Tai said...

If only every one was so lucky to have a teacher like that, and what a wonderful way to recognize the importance of his ability to make you think.
I was very fortunate to have had a teacher like that, myself.
I'll never forget her.

CS said...

Sounds like he really considered the big questions. The story of Job had alway baffled me, for those very questions.

Ian Lidster said...

I had one like Don. His name was Laurie Lynds, my senior history teacher. He made me want to become a senior history teacher. And I did. For a while.

Spider Girl said...

In Tai's comment above she mentions a teacher she'll never forget. I know exactly who she means, and I was fortunate to have had that teacher too.

I was also very lucky to have two other teachers that I still remember fondly and with profound gratefulness for the experience of having been their student.

I hope that everybody can say that of at least one teacher in their life. It makes such a big difference in both school and life afterwards.

geewits said...

Oh and just so it will be on the internet forever, the best teacher in Texas was Leon Mitchell. He was such a good teacher he would need a whole post. And a year or two before I met him, the city of Fort Worth had an official Leon Mitchell day. Thank-you Mr. Mitchell!

jak osb said...

This was such a joy to read! Thank you posting. I miss him especially on this the day of his passing. I'm quite sure he's having a bowl of ice cream with Thomas Aquinas in marking the occasion of his entrance into glory. We will have much to discuss one day. I just hope we don't have all the answers . . . so we can still fight.

Unknown said...

December this year marks the 10th Anniversary of Don Petzel passing. In remembrance a mass will be celebrated in his name at Eglise Saint-Thomas-d'Aquin, 2125, rue Louis-Jolliet, Québec G1V 2B7 ((next to Café au temps perdu). Monday Dec. 15, 2014 at 9:00 A.M.