Saturday, December 18, 2010

Life of a teacher

Sometimes it isn't easy teaching but many times it is very satisfying. I could always pass up the paperwork and the endless meetings but what keeps me going are the kids.
Often adolescents are said to be lazy and will amount to nothing, yet each year they amaze me with their work and creativity. My students are in Secondary 2, the equivalent of grade 8, so they are 13-14 years old. They are on the cusp of becoming adults balanced between childhood and adulthood and they go back and forth between the two. It is a remarkable age because you can see the child that they are and at the same time, the adults they will become. Their enthusiasm for new things is a wonder to see and when properly focused they can really do great things.
We have just finished the Christmas Project where they researched different countries, their Christmas traditions, songs, food etc. They were presenting all this week and their work was excellent considering that it was all done in their second language. They also had to bake Christmas cookies from their country to give to their fellow students after the presentation. Let me tell you that the cookies were good and I'll have to do some extra exercising to get rid of the calories.
Some of my former students have gone on to do great things. There is one studying in the Université d'Ottawa and is presently working as a page in the House of Commons (the equivalent of Congress for our American cousins), another is studying at the Sorbonne in Paris. We have some studying in medicine, science, law and education. One is presently doing an internship as an radio host on local radio. Needless to say that I am proud of them all. :o)
I am a lucky guy. I have a wonderful family that I adore and a job that I love. What more can you ask for in life?

6 comments:

secret agent woman said...

Everyone warned me about how difficult the teenage years would be, and yet I find it to be a delightful age. Oh, sure they have their moments of surliness and stubbornness and irrational emotionality. But who doesn't? With the oldest at 17, I'm beginning to think we're not going to hit an age I don't like.

Anonymous said...

Well, me, I'd ask for more christmas cookies. I miss christmas cookies.

Dr. Deb said...

Popping by to wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a Great 2011!

Big Brother said...

SAW: I also find them interesting since I have devoted most of my working life to them.
Lil sister: yes xmas cookies are good and this years batch was especially good.
Dr. Deb: Thank you, I hope that Christmas will be good for you and all those you love.

geewits said...

You sound like the very best kind of teacher. You say you are lucky, but I say your students are lucky.
Merry Christmas!

Big Brother said...

Why thank you Geewits. I’m blushing... A Merry Christmas you also and may the New Year bring you love, happiness and health which are the only really important things.