Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bikes

If I was to take a bicyclist from the late 19th century and gave him today’s bike, he would instantly recognize it and be able to use it. The bike is an invention that is nearly perfect in it’s simplicity. It has changed very little over the years. Yes the materials have changed and there is a more sophisticated system of dérailleur with the gear shifts integrated into the brakes but the major parts of the bike are still the same. The 10 speed bike that I had 30 years ago is heavier than the one I have now but it functions basically the same way and side by side they are nearly the same. 
 I came across an internet page however that shows that this may all be changing. Go to Yanko Design and have a look. I wonder if they’ll make an almost perfect design better.

6 comments:

geewits said...

Instead of all that cool-looking and folding and whatnot stuff, why don't they just focus on a seat that doesn't make your bum sore?

secret agent woman said...

I think folding bikes are a great idea - it would make them so much easier to transport - assuming they are light enough for someone my size to pick up and pop into the trunk of a car. But that last one? I'm not that coordinated - I'd crash, for sure.

choochoo said...

I fell in love with a new bike the other day that I saw in a shop window. But I don't think I should cheat on my current bike. Even if it's still back in the ol' country and we're having a long distance relationship.

Big Brother said...

geewits: that’s why they make padded biking shorts.
SAW: Yes I think I’ll stick to the old fashioned kind
Choochoo: You should bring it over, Denmark is nice and flat, great for riding.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Geewits. Otherwise, it is amazing how the fundamental design has never truly changed.

Dr. Deb said...

I still miss my circa 1970 banana seat green sparkle bike. It *was* perfection!