Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Obituary Channel

Believe it or not a Québec entrepreneur has asked for and gotten permission from the CRTC (Canadian Radio and Television Commission*) to open a new television channel.... the Obituary Channel. Yes that's right a television channel that shows obituaries, 24/7. Now how strange is that. Only in Québec could this be possible. The entrepreneur was quoted as saying, "The first thing people look at in the papers is the obituary, so my idea should be a smashing success..." He also plans to call the channel, "Je me souviens" (I remember), which by the way is the motto of our fair province. The nationalists will have a bird. I can just imagine saying to my wife, "Honey, it's Saturday. Lets eat in and see who died on the Obituary Channel."

*the people who make the rules for telecommunications in Canada)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! That's morbidly hysterical.

pierre l said...

Indeed! I moved to Europe in 1972, but I vaguely remember that radio station CKAC used to have a daily obituary program.
You could have the regular list of current announcements on the hour, along with the 1-year-ago, 5 years-ago, etc, special features.
I don't think I'd be watching, even if I could.

Jazz said...

How incredibly bizarre. I can't help but wonder how high up he'd be in the Neilsen ratings.

Sadly, I'd probably be surprised.