Thursday, January 18, 2007

Right brain, left brain, no brain*

I was listening to a report this week about bilingual people. The researchers with the Rotman Research Institute at the Baycrest Research Centre for Aging and the Brain in Toronto (how's that for a mouthful) did the study and found that the onset of dementia symptoms was on average four years later for us bilingual people (71.5 for unilingual and 75.5 for bilingual). What was really interesting was what they found about the language center in the brain. You would think that all languages would be using the same part of the brain but no. For your second language a different part is used so the brain must coordinate the two parts so you can use one or the other language. This exercising of the frontal lobes (your cognitive part.... the part that thinks... the part that is you) builds up cognitive reserve (more brain cells/connections) so when the old brain starts to go you have enough reserve to keep going for a while longer.
Rather interesting... good thing I've always been bilingual. I guess I'll be able to be an irasible old codger and bug people for the longest time. Only in Canada would we find such a good reason for being bilingual.
* I know the title has nothing to do with the blog besides the word brain, but it sounded nice.

5 comments:

Jazz said...

Damn, and here I was hoping dementia would strike you soon just so we could all have a breather.. :-p

Anonymous said...

Damn, that means I'll be stock with BOTH OF YOU for the longest time!!! :-)

Jazz said...

You will be stuck with me and you will be happy because if you're nice you'll inherit my fortune...

Big Brother said...

Ouahhhaaaahhhaaa, I'll outlive you all.... evil LOL.

Dave said...

I "gotta learn me" a new language! (maybe I outta speak English correctly first!)

Thanks for the information. Very interesting! :-)